Nostalgia is a sentimentality for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations (source: Wikipedia)
I'm quite prone to nostalgia, but not as much as I used to be. I acknowledge that it has provided me comfort in times of distress, but also hindered me in embracing the here and now, and be present in the moment.
In this section I'm giving in to my nostalgic side, and share some of my favourite music, films, even computer games. I appreciate these art forms because they have a dream-like quality and allow me to transcend the confinement of day-to-day numbness, and experience coherence, depth and wholeness.
There are a few simple rules though
- Brevity: I want to keep each entry at about 1000 characters. I want to lower the barrier and hope I can make writing more of a habit that way. By focusing on brevity I want to capture the essence of the reasons for appreciation.
- Personal: Entries will be strictly personal. I'm not a film or music critic, so I will not drop names or use expert language, and I will not research. I will make a personal connection by interweaving descriptions with memories. Everything you read about here comes from first hand sensory experience.
- » Infocom text adventures (1980-1989)
- » Lode Runner (1983)
- » The Roches - The Roches (1979)
- » An ode to my basketball
- » Clint Eastwood - Unforgiven (1992)
- » Charles Chaplin - The Gold Rush (1925)
- » William Friedkin - The Exorcist (1973)
- » Tocotronic - Digital ist besser (1995)
- » Randy Newman - Good Old Boys (1974)
- » Neil Young - Harvest (1972)
- » Tom Lehrer - The Remains Of Tom Lehrer (1953-1965)
- » Whitehorse - The Fate Of The World Depends On This Kiss (2012)
- » Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (1992)